Ask an Auditor Webinar | Preparing for Post-Covid
Streaming Live at 1pm Today, Jan 27th
Questions swirl around residency cases because auditors try to make it as opaque as possible. Their goal is to catch taxpayers submitting part-year or nonresident tax returns on day count technicalities or false affidavits.
While the pandemic continues to disrupt our return to normal, taxes and audits aren’t going away. In fact as budget deficits spike due to COVID, and many have moved out of major cities, experts are warning high-net worth individuals and corporations that audit risk is increasing. That’s why Nishant Mittal, Co-founder of Monaeo, is hosting a webinar with Kristine Bly, a former NY State Auditor and currently a Senior Audit Manager with Hodgson Russ’ State & Local Tax Practice, and Tim Noonan, Partner, New York State Residency Practice Leader. This panel of experts is here to answer your questions about what current trends in residency and how to prepare for a very complicated year when it comes to residency and audits.
Register for this upcoming webinar by clicking below.
Date: January 27, 2021
Due to travel restrictions and “stay-at-home” orders, you might be spending more time in a particular state than anticipated, or you may have decided to move or rent in a different state. No matter what you’ve decided upon during this past year or in years past, your plans will impact the two main residency tests: domicile and statutory residency.
We will be discussing a variety of issues and case studies of individuals who have been audited with unique tax returns.
We’ll answer your questions like:
- Have individuals really been moving out of cities at a high rate (Spoiler alert: they are!)?
- How will this impact state tax authorities behavior?
- Will state tax authorities continue to behave in different ways as it relates to residency? What does that mean for you? What are the implications of NYS DTF’s new IBM software?
- What is the role of cell phone records in audits? What do you need to know before you hand them over?
- If you plan to return to the city after the pandemic, does that change your tax burden?
- How do you prepare for a bully-auditor?
- How will remote work be treated?
This webinar is part of our Ask an Auditor Webinar series. To view past Ask an Auditor Webinars visit: blog.monaeo.com/ask-an-auditor-how-to-prepare-for-and-fight-residency-audits